Art handlers work with a variety of people to move and handle art works. They may have to work with registrars, security staff, curators and exhibition organisers.
They have to work with a wide range of art, this can include:
- Contemporary art works and multi-media installations
- Items within a collection such as antique furniture
- Items within a heritage setting that require special or sensitive handling.
Art handlers may work with restoration and conservation staff to consider the best way to move an item. They have to transport it, keep it safe and prevent any damage to the specific object or collection.
There are also a number of specialist areas where an art handler may have to make judgements or provide expertise. This could include:
- Ensuring appropriate standards of care for objects are being carried out in a storage area
- Making sure works of art are stored in clean, well-maintained areas in a controlled environment
- Ensuring items are logged correctly into a collections management system. This work nay be done in liaison with curatorial staff
- Work with security staff to help prevent crime during the handling process. They may have to devise systems to protect the objects.