Box office staff
Box office staff work in cinemas, theatres and concert halls. They are responsible for taking bookings and payments for tickets. Box office staff also arrange for group visits and discounts. They may also advise on seating for people with disabilities or special needs.
Box office staff in theatres and cinemas may have to be flexible in their work. They may have to cover work in the theatre cafe or bar, or as an usher.
The work carried out by box office staff is often centred on a range of short administrative tasks. This can include:
- Taking telephone bookings and ticket purchases
- Advising enquirers about seating and ticket prices
- Issuing tickets on the night of a performance
- Selling programmes and other promotional materials
- Issuing tickets to ticket agents are supplied with a suitable allocation of tickets and that these are recorded accurately
- Ensuring the security of the box office and any monies taken, and ensuring that the Box Office takings accurately balance at the end of a shift.