Classical musicians perform, compose or conduct music. They are trained to an extremely high standard in one or more instruments. A classical musician primarily plays an instrument or sings live. They may also record classical music, do session work for backing tracks, conduct performances, or write music.
Some musicians decide to extend their work in music education, examples of this include:
- Working with the education department of an orchestra or opera company
- Training as a school teacher
- Carrying out private tuition.
Classical musicians have to work irregular hours. They also work in a variety of settings such as:
- Indoor concert halls and theatres
- Recording studios
- Outdoor venues such as parks and the gardens of stately homes.