Craft workers are involved in making objects and implementing craft techniques. They carry out a range of activities using a variety of different materials. A craft worker/maker may use traditional skills in their work. They may also use more modern or innovative approaches and techniques.
Craft workers/makers will either produce work in their own style, or to suit a clients commission. They are often freelancers, and so have to carry out a wide range of non-craft related work. This could include marketing or selling their product. Craft workers/makers cover a broad spectrum, but as part of their work they may:
- Consider how the item will be used and what properties it needs
- Research ideas and inspiration
- Experiment with materials and techniques
- Sketch ideas and producing designs
- Make items using the relevant equipment
- Finish the item with appropriate finishes
- Add embellishments, closures or decorative items.