Hair, make-up and wigs
People that work in hair, makeup and wigs for the theatre & dance sector help to style performers. The style of makeup needed depends on the type of production. The hair, make-up and wigs may contemporary and straightforward or require more creative approaches. Performers may need to appear from a different nationality or historical period. The makeup artist will also need to dress wigs and attach them correctly to the actor or performer.
People that work in hair, makeup and wigs may be required to carry out the following:
- Researching/designing the type and style of make-up and hair for projects
- Liaising with other production members, e.g. directors, producers and designers
- Ensuring the availability of materials. This can include the correct colours, period make-up, prosthetics like false noses and scars, wigs and hair decorations
- Evaluating the length of time required for each person
- Applying make-up and hair styling, often with other make-up artists, assistants or stylists.