Publications (cultural heritage)
Publications staff officers in the cultural heritage sector are responsible for all the publication material designed and produced by an organisation.
They will carry out a range of duties, such as:
- Designing and producing publicity materials, marketing literature, guides and educational books
- Producing exhibition catalogues
- Ensuring their work meets a house style which is accessible to the target audience
- Using language in an appropriate manner. They may also need to translate into different language
- Maximising audience engagement and accessibility. They may work with interpretation staff or curatorial staff to do this
- Creating interactive products such as websites, CDs and DVDs. In these cases sound, video and animation can all be utilised in the process.
The end products have a variety of different uses. They include:
- Guidebooks, specialist publications, catalogues
- Advertising and marketing material
- Online learning materials
- Online communities and intranet systems
- Public information and educational resources.