Wood workers are involved in designing and making objects. They use a range of woods for a variety of different uses and purposes. The objects may range from decorative items, such as carvings to utility items, such as boats, picture frames, patterns, chairs and chests.
A wood worker may create and sell objects or be involved in restoration work. There are a number of specific skills which a wood worker has to use, these can include:
- Designing items, e.g. chairs
- Preparing materials for construction, e.g. wood
- Using traditional wood working tools
- Using power tools
- Making joints to join pieces of wood
- Finishing the item with appropriate finishes, varnishes, stains or waxes
- Attaching closures or decorative items.