Is a postgrad diploma right for interior design?

I would like a career as an interiorer designer. Will the postgraduate diploma offered by the British Academy of Interior Design be the right choice, coupled with sufficient work experience, to get my foot in the door? If not, what else should I do?

— Aimée

Expert answers

Anthony Rayworth 's reply:

Hello Aimee

Whilst I cannot comment on individual institutions, I can advise the following:

Genuine Post-Graduate education is that which follows the achievement of a BA (Hons) or a BsC (Hons) or equivalent; these are NQF Level 6 qualifications. A Post-Graduate Qualification is, therefore, a NQF Level 7. Be cautious when applying for any 'Post-Graduate Certificate' or Masters Degree that is not NQF Level 7. Visit      for clarification of Levels.

A PGDip is often perceived as a 'bridge' between BA (Hons) and MA. As the only difference between the two qualifications is the completion of a Masters Project or equivalent, I would recommend that you study for an MA in Interior Design. It is recognised by more employers and in more countries than a PGDip.

I hope this helps

Best wishes


Stay updated

Sign up for our weekly careers newsletter

View our privacy policy.

Other recent questions