Call for proposals — Engage 44: Biennials and Beyond
Proposals are invited for issue 44 of the Engage Journal, Engage Journal 44: Biennials and Beyond.
Proposals are invited for issue 44 of the Engage Journal, Engage Journal 44: Biennials and Beyond. This issue will focus on biennials relationships to gallery education and engagement programmes. Deadline for proposals: Friday 13 December 2019, 10:00 am
We are interested in contributions from colleagues in the UK and worldwide that concern the topic of biennials and other art events and specifically where this connects to gallery and visual art education. Proposals should address questions such as:
- How do biennials effectively construct meaningful and sustainable education programmes and promote public engagement with visual art? What can we learn from examples from biennials and events internationally?
- What have been the key developments for education and engagement programmes for biennials and repeated art events?
- What has the sector learnt from evaluation methods and strategies, and what is the wider legacy of this work?
- How have biennials worked alongside or integrated into existing gallery education programmes? What do sustainable models look like?
- How has ‘spectacular art culture’ and its related programmes affected communities and a sense of place? How has ‘biennial regeneration’ worked in practice across schools, colleges, universities and other centres? Examples of where biennials have enacted successful methods of participation.
- How will biennial culture continue a dialogue that addresses climate change concerns? What impact will developing environmentally conscious policies have on artistic and education programmes, and cross-cultural ambition?
- How do biennales support and represent the development of emerging artists, curators and colleagues working in education and participation? What can biennials offer for work experience and career progression?
- How can biennial type events impact in a hyper-local or rural situation?
If you are interested in contributing to this issue, please send an informal proposal of no more than 300 words, your job/freelance title and contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 13 December 2019, 10:00 am
Contributions may take the format of articles, interviews, collaborative pieces, conversations, photo essays or discussions, and engage welcomes those which take advantage of the Journal’s online format, through the use of sound or video clips, film and html links to digital content. As a guide, final articles lie between 1,500 and 3,000 words.
- Proposals deadline: Friday 13 December 2019, 10:00 am
- Finished article deadline: Friday 14 February 2020, 10:00 am
- Engage 43: Biennials and beyond (working title) will be published in March 2020
For the full call for proposal, please see engage.org/happenings/call-for-proposals-engage-44