Creative Careers Academy 2019
Work placement programme application
The Creative Careers Academy offers London Living Wage work placements and skills development to talented young people who are under-represented in the creative and cultural sector. We aim to support diverse new talent emerging into the sector.
Applications for the 2019 work placements are now open.
Creative Careers Academy placements last 9 months (April 2019-January 2020). They offer young people aged 18-25 a broad insight into what makes a creative organisation tick. Through duties that focus on administration, events assistance, digital marketing and organisational support, participants will gain direct experience of the range of working practices and business models used in the sector.
Who hosts the placements? Placements are split between two host organisations. Alongside the Somerset House Trust, in 2018 partners hosting work placements included: The British Fashion Council, Creative United, Fuel Theatre, Improbable and Mighty.
What support is available during the placement?
Participants on placements will access:
- Monthly mentoring sessions
- Open Skills sessions: four annual workshops, each focusing on a skill area which is important to careers in the sector. See the 2019 programme here.
- Coffee Break Chats with organisations drawn from the resident community onsite at Somerset House.
- CV surgeries and advice on next steps at the end of the placement
Alongside work placements, Somerset House offers a rich public programme including:
- The Creative Job Studio, monthly drop in events where 18-25 year olds can meet employers offering advice, support and work opportunities. Delivered in partnership with The Creative Society.
- Creative Careers festivals to celebrate emerging talent
- Diverse artistic and creative events including exhibitions, gigs, films, talks and more
- Aged 18-25 (at the time of application)
- Currently resident in Greater London [insert postcode & borough]
- Not in full time education (at the time of application)
- Qualified at level 3 or BA level in a creative subject (not qualified to MA level or higher)
- No significant employment experience in the creative sector
- Committed to working fulltime for 9 months
Friday 08 February 2019 - Application OPENS
Sunday 03 March 2019 at 23:59 - Application CLOSES
If you do not hear from us by Monday 11 March, you have not been successful. Due to the high volume of applications, we cannot provide individual feedback.
Friday 08 March 2019 - Selected applicants invited to apply for 2nd phase
Sunday 17 March 2019 - 2nd APPLICATION CLOSES
Friday 22 March 2019 - Shortlist invited to Interview Selection Day
Thursday 28 March 2019 - Interview Day (on-site at Somerset House)