Please note that this ad has now expired
Chair of MAC (Midlands Arts Centre) Trading
Opportunity to be Chair of MAC (Midlands Arts Centre) Trading
Application deadline: August 19th 2019
MAC currently has a vacancy for the Chair of its Trading subsidiary. We are one of Britain’s most exciting and busiest contemporary arts centres welcoming over 1million visitors annually to our venue.
Led by our strong ethos and commitment to reflecting the diversity of Birmingham, it is our mission to encourage people to have a meaningful engagement with the arts.
The Trading Company provides food and beverage services to our customers, a range of conference and room hire facilities as well as a retail offer. The contribution the Trading arm in supporting the work of the Arts Centre is phenomenal and you will get the satisfaction of knowing your contribution will impact greatly on sustaining and growing this important resource for future generations.
We are looking to recruit a Chair with experience at a senior level within an organisation or an individual with a proven track record ideally in hospitality, business or commercial activity.
The CEO is available for informal conversations prior to application.
Role and Job Description of Chair
The Company Directors of MAC Trading are led by its Chair, and together they are responsible for MAC Trading’s governance, development and strategic direction, consistent with its constitution and objectives.
The MAC Trading Board normally meets at MAC six times per year.
The Directors of MAC and MAC Trading are seeking an individual with a strong commercial acumen and set of skills and experiences to provide direction to the MAC Trading board. Their role is to enable their fellow board members to fulfil their responsibilities for the overall strategic direction of the Trading subsidiary of MAC and to ensure MAC’s values are reflected in the Board’s activities and key decisions.
The Trading Chair will work in partnership with the Chief Executive, Deborah Kermode and the Chair of MAC, Jonnie Turpie, giving guidance and support to optimise the relationship between board members and the MAC staff. The Trading Chair will also be available to promote opportunities for and advocate on behalf of MAC.
The Chair’s specific responsibilities include:
• Chairing and facilitating MAC Trading Board meetings
• Providing leadership of the MAC Trading Board in their role of setting the strategy and policy
• Working with and supporting the Trading team in the development of major strategies and
• Representing the organisation at appropriate events, meetings or functions
• Acting as a spokesperson for the organisation where appropriate
• Ensuring compliance with our governing document and relevant legislation
• Acting as custodian of the organisation’s values
Remuneration: The role of Chair is not accompanied by any financial remuneration, although expenses for travel may be claimed
Time commitment: Six Board meetings per year. The Chair is also expected to represent the Company at various events and meetings with key stakeholders.
Reporting to: MAC Trading Company Directors
The Chair will:
- hold the Board and Trading Team to account for the aims of the Trading activities
- provide inclusive leadership to the Board ensuring that each trustee fulfils their duties and responsibilities for effective governance
- support, and, where appropriate, challenge the Executive Team
- ensure that the Board functions as a unit and works closely with the Executive to achieve agreed objectives and
- act as an ambassador of MAC.
- Ensure that the Board operates within its objectives, and provides a clear strategic direction
- Ensure that the Board is able to regularly review major risks and associated opportunities, and satisfy itself that systems are in place to take advantage of opportunities, and manage and mitigate the risks
- Ensure that the Board fulfils its duties to ensure sound financial health, with systems in place to ensure financial accountability
Efficiency and effectiveness
- Chair meetings of the board effectively and efficiently, bringing impartiality and objectivity to the decision making process
- Ensure that board members are fully engaged and that decisions are taken in the best, long-term interests of the charity and that the board takes collective ownership
- Foster, maintain and ensure that constructive relationships exist with and between board members
- Monitor that decisions taken at meetings are implemented through the support of the CEO and MAC’s senior management team
Relationship with the Chief Executive and the wider management team
- Establish a constructive working relationship with the Executive, ensuring she is held to account for achieving agreed strategic objectives
- Support the Executive, whilst respecting the boundaries which exist between the two roles
- Ensure regular contact with the Chief Executive and develop and maintain an open and supportive relationship within which each can speak openly about concerns, worries and challenges
The Chair must ideally meet the following requirements:
- Experience of operating at a senior level within an organisation/ company
- Successful commercial track record of achievement through their career
- Experience of external representation and managing stakeholders/ partners
- Experience of chairing meetings and or events
Knowledge and skills
- Financial management expertise and a broad understanding of finance issues
- Good understanding of Trading activities.