Please note that this ad has now expired
Head of Marketing and PR
This is an exciting opportunity to work with the ICA
Up to £40,000k
Application deadline: March 31st 2019
The Institute of Contemporary Arts was founded 72 years ago and is a model that is continuously adapted to the world of today. Our agenda setting programme positions artists and thinkers at the centre of the ICA’s activities: as our Partners, Participants, and our Audience. Historically the ICA has always anchored its programme within the socio-economic conditions of its times. Today, this critical approach is needed more than ever, as we face some of the most complex ecological, ethical and social justice challenges of the 21st Century.
From the Turner Prize nominated exhibition Forensic Architecture to a high-profile discussion with Chelsea Manning, recent months have shown that the ICA is going from strength to strength. This is a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious marketer to make a significant impact at the ICA as it moves towards re-establishing itself as a membership organisation and delivering several important strategic initiatives. The role is conceived with the desire to grow into a Director level position sitting on the Senior Management Team (SMT).
The main responsibilities of the Head of Marketing & PR are to develop, implement and lead on the marketing, communications and digital strategy for the ICA, with the goal being to engage a wide range of audiences in the activities of the ICA, drive attendance and membership, and to build brand awareness and loyalty.
Working with the SMT and line managing a Press Officer, Marketing Officer, Membership Relations Manager and Copy Editor, this individual is responsible for ensuring that audience and market-led thinking and insights are embedded in the ICA’s decision-making processes and strategies. This role ensures that the ICA has the marketing and digital strategy needed to support the programme and business goals while enhancing accessibility and audience outreach.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Develop and implement effective marketing strategies and campaigns with a Marketing Officer to promote the full breadth of the ICA’s public programme, offer and commercial activities.
· Plan and implement membership acquisition & retention strategies with the Membership Relations Manager including driving membership numbers, engagement, loyalty and revenue to meet an agreed range of targets.
· Lead and oversee marketing and PR strategies for new and developing programme and commercial activities in consultation with the ICA’s Press Officer and Press Consultant.
· Lead on developing and implementing strategies for growing and diversifying audiences across all areas of ICA programme.
· Lead on the ICA’s digital strategy and take responsibility for an agreed range of engagement targets across the ICA’s social media platforms.
· Work with the Head of Design and the SMT to grow the ICA’s brand and identity, ensuring that all marketing communications adhere branding guidelines.
· Build relationships with key external suppliers such as media agencies and promotional partners, tendering projects, negotiating and securing the best possible terms.
· Develop and implement audience development initiatives and related monitoring and audience evaluation in accordance with funding requirements (Arts Council England, Heritage Lottery Fund).
· Devise and implement effective methods of evaluation, ensuring a rigorous strategic and evidence-based approach to all marketing activity.
· Develop the CRM strategy, manage effective data capture, and oversee audience research and analysis, working closely with other internal departments to establish the data and reporting needs of the wider organization.
· Coordinate with external parties where necessary, including The Audience Agency, Film London and the BFI Film Audience Network to shape and tailor content for different demographics, with an emphasis on building new audiences.
· Line management of the Press Officer, Marketing Officer, Membership Relations Manager and Copy Editor and any other freelancers working on marketing, communications and digital strategy.
· Regularly reviewing marketing platforms, systems and mailing lists (website, Mailchimp etc) in collaboration with Director of Operations and Visitor Services.
· Manage the Communications budget and expenditure with the Head of Design; report regularly on financial aspects of the Communications team’s activity including performance to agreed targets, liaising with colleagues as necessary.
· Extensive marketing experience
· Extensive knowledge and experience of digital platforms and social media including of social media best practice and the ability to drive social media engagement
· An understanding of digital copyright, data protection, communication best practice
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Extensive experience in evidence-based approach to marketing, with strong commitment to reporting against targets and other forms of evaluation
· Sound financial acumen, existing experience of carefully managing on budgets, analysis of revenue targets and income generation
· A seasoned networker to secure exciting marketing partnership opportunities and negotiate excellent terms for the ICA
· The demonstrated ability to be creative, proactive and innovative
· Expert at InDesign and Photoshop
· Availability outside normal working hours to attend events, openings and meetings