The Backstage Centre
Purfleet RM19 1RJ
Studio Operations Coordinator - The Backstage Centre
Provide technical and facilities support for hires and act as principal client liaison.
£24,501-£30,138 per annum
Application deadline: January 29th 2017
Contract: Full time, 225 hours over 6 weeks
Responsible to: General Manager, The Backstage Centre
Responsible for: Casual Technicians, Technical Apprentices
Probationary Period: 3 months
Notice Period: 1 month
Closing Date: 10am, 29th January
Interview Date: Week commencing 30th January
National College: National Colleges are a new approach to skills and training, putting vocational education on a par with academic excellence. There is an acknowledged shortage of highly-qualified technical workers with hands-on industry experience, and there are rapid changes in the technology that technicians use to do their work. A National College, where people can train in these skills, and where we can provide apprenticeships and industry experience, is absolutely vital. The National College for the Creative and Cultural Industries will be managed by Creative & Cultural Skills on behalf of a consortium of employers and industry organisations including: Live Nation, Royal Opera House, White Light and the Association of British Theatre Technicians. For further information, please visit www.ccskills.org.uk
The Backstage Centre: The Backstage Centre is a new technical facility located at High House Production Park in Purfleet, Essex, which Creative & Cultural Skills opened in October 2012. The building includes a large central space (875m² with a 15m ceiling), along with training areas including a dance studio, lighting and audio-visual spaces, generic training spaces, a recording studio and band rehearsal room. The building can support industry events, demonstrations, equipment testing and rehearsal hires. Central to the purpose of the building is the provision of training opportunities for young people, apprentices and professionals. For further information, please visit www.thebackstagecentre.com
Role overview: This role will support the General Manager in providing technical and facilities support for hires and acting as principal client liaison in their absence. They will also support the General Manager in the day to day management of technical equipment and all spaces in the building.
The Studio Operations Coordinator will act as Duty Manager and responsible person as rota’d, and on those days will supervise casual technicians and the Centre’s apprentices and take day to day charge of immediate issues.
- Deliver technical support and be client liaison for hires of The Backstage Centre and High House Production Park
- Take day to day charge of The Backstage Centre facilities on a rota’d basis
- Ensure adherence to Health and Safety systems and practices
- Supervise casual staff and apprentices of the Backstage Centre
Deliver technical support and be client liaison for hires of The Backstage Centre and High House Production Park:
- Be the on the day contact for hires of the Backstage Centre and coordinate contracted one-stop shop services
- Attend client meetings and assist the General Manager to document and quote for technical needs
- Arrange and order equipment, furniture or other external resources required by our clients
- Liaise with and oversee external contractors and suppliers in relation to hires
- Ensure that all venue users adhere to TBC’s Health & Safety, policies procedures and act within the scope of agreed method statements and risk assessments
- Provide technical operation of basic lighting and AV for events as requested.
Take day to day charge of The Backstage Centre facilities on a rota’d basis:
- Act as a Duty Manager for The Backstage Centre, performing daily and weekly safety checks and acting as lead person in the event of an evacuation of the building
- Work with building and lighting management systems to deliver a comfortable user experience
- Monitor the fire and intruder alarm systems, making interventions as necessary according to user requirements
- Carry out first-line maintenance as required, and liaise with external contractors for emergency and planned repair and maintenance as required
- Follow financial procedures for ordering of equipment or consumables on behalf of the General Manager
Ensure Adherence to Health and Safety Systems and Practice:
- Be responsible for ensuring all users of the building conform to TBC’s policies, procedures and safe systems of work and support their induction and training where necessary.
- Assist in the creation and review generic and specific risk assessments and method statements for activity related to performance / rehearsal activity, and technical equipment.
- Support the management of TBC fire safety procedures, including ensuring regular alarm test and evacuation drills are carried out.
- Support the General Manager to regular inspect or contract inspections in relation to LOLER, Ladder Safety and Tallescope inspections.
Supervise casual staff and apprentices of the Backstage Centre:
- Supervise technical apprentices and casual technicians
- Input into training exercises and inductions for casual staff, students and apprentices
- Coordinate Student projects
- Clean driving licence and experience driving a van.
- Requirement to work unsocial hours including evenings, weekends and occasional overnights.
- Flexible approach to work in a dynamic, creative and fast-changing environment.
- Willingness to acquire relevant qualifications and take part in training as required for any of the above.
- Contributory Pensions Scheme
- Season Ticket Loan
- 25 Days Annual Leave
- Annum Employee Assistance Programme
- Free Eye Tests
- Personal Computer Loan
- Life Assurance
This summary provides a general description and is not intended to be comprehensive. It may be altered from time to time as required for business reasons, to meet the changing and evolving needs of The National College & The Backstage Centre.
To Apply: Please email Jonathan Roberts