Please note that this ad has now expired
We’re a relatively small team looking for a fun, hard working technician.
Application deadline: July 29th 2019
We’re a relatively small team looking for a fun, hard working technician to help make the art and presentations at PDSW as fabulous as possible. We’ll support you to develop your skills and enjoy your workplace.
PDSW is a registered charity (1111641) dedicated to transforming communities through dance. We have a lovely venue by the sea with a small-scale theatre (180 seats) and two dance studios and a remit to support dance across SW England and the UK. Our programme includes performances by professional and amateur companies, a wide variety of dance classes, workshops, conferences and creation time for companies.
This role supports the whole range of our work and makes a really important contribution to our role as a Centre of Excellence for dance.
Detailed key responsibilities:
- To set up and run films, performance and participation events at any location where activity is presented
- To operate and programme lighting and sound for a wide variety of events
- To build Qlab show files for performance
- Supervision and support
- To assist the Senior Technician within the technical department
- To oversee the use of sound, lighting and staging equipment by incoming companies and hirers
- To assist outside hirers with technical support and advice, providing the best levels of customer service.
- To work with Front of House colleagues to set up spaces for classes/talks/meetings etc
- To supervise volunteers and casual staff
- To ensure studios, workshops and stage areas are kept safe and tidy
- To clean, maintain and repair all technical equipment
- To assist with any general maintenance of Pavilion Dance where appropriate
- To participate in the annual testing and tagging of all technical and electrical equipment
- To communicate daily internally and externally to plan and implement technical requirements.
- To attend planning meetings and rehearsals
- To participate in training sessions, staff meetings and staff development
- To contribute to risk assessments
- To support the Senior Technician to : log all equipment entering and exiting the building and maintain an accurate inventory of technical equipment
- To contribute to show reports and technical reports for the Pavilion Dance South West management
- To undertake such other duties as required within the general scope and grade of the post
- This post involves manual handling and lifting
- This post involves working at heights
- This post involves late night working, weekends and Bank Holidays
5 GCSE at C or above including Maths, English and Science
More than 2 years working as a technician in theatre, events or arts production
Experience of safe management of stage lighting, audio and audio-visual equipment
Knowledge of Health & Safety legislation, LOLER, PUWER and risk assessments
Knowledge and understanding of lighting design, focusing and patching
Relevant technical theatre qualification
Elevated platform – IPAF 3A licence
Use of ETC Ion lighting control and other lighting systems
Use of analogue (Yamaha) and digital sound mixers
Knowledge of how to create and use Qlab showfiles
First aid certificate (or willingness to get one)
Is brilliant at attention to detail
A good communicator and enjoys teamworking
Good sense of humour
Enjoys problem solving
Meets PDSW values of : Generous, Inclusive, Inspiring, Passionate