Please note that this ad has now expired
Trainee Researcher – NHU
Application deadline: May 17th 2019
If you love watching wildlife and natural history programmes and can’t wait to kickstart your career in television, this researcher opportunity with an award-winning team in Bristol could be the one for you…
The BBC Natural History Unit (NHU) slate in Bristol covers big landmark programming including Planet Earth III and Frozen Planet II, plus mini landmarks such as Rivers, topical output for the One Show and The Watches.
They currently have a coveted opportunity for a Trainee Researcher to join their team for twelve months. Throughout the year, you will gain experience across a range of genres from super landmarks to fast turnaround short form like The One Show) and live formats such as Springwatch.
The successful candidate will learn and access a range of research techniques as well as receive on-going mentor support from experienced researchers on the team.
On the job training will be provided on productions to ensure that you have an excellent ground knowledge of archive research training, media management and camera assisting. The trainee will even gain a unique insight from the innovation team into the cutting edge technology used to capture their animal sequences.
This is the ideal opportunity for a TV enthusiast to emerge from this scheme with all the necessary skills to immediately be taken on in a junior researcher position. So, if you are ready to step into the world of television and work on the productions for some of the biggest factual programmes this broadcaster has to offer, now is the time to apply!
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Full understanding of the television production process across a range of programme types and platforms
- A passion for topical and factual content including Natural History
- A full insight into how the BBC NHU Bristol team operates
- Research techniques and reporting skills
- Administrative and editorial skills
- Understanding of what goes into the perfect pitch
- How to generate engaging ideas for a range of audiences
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrable experience or interest in the media
- Particular knowledge of TV production and the types of network programming made by the BBC NHU department
- Passionate about pursuing a career in TV development
- Enthusiasm for factual content including documentaries
- Team player with the ability to take initiative
- Creative and bursting with engaging ideas
- General understanding of the audiences for shows such as the One Show and Springwatch
- Upload your CV and cover letter as one document (applications without a tailored cover letter will NOT be considered)
- This traineeship is only open to candidates from a BAME background
- Do not contact the company directly