PDSW are looking for an amazing Venue Manager who is committed to our value
Application deadline: November 18th 2019
This is the frontline customer role responsible for all of our visitors first impressions of PDSW. It is key to the efficient running of the Pavilion Dance building and to maximising the benefit of the beautiful spaces we have. The Venue Manager is in charge of our Spektrix box office and customer relationship management system – the data heart of PDSW.
Job Role & Description
The Venue Manager is responsible for the safe and efficient management and running of the venue, Pavilion Dance.
The post holder will ensure that the highest standard of customer service is offered to all visitors, manage the FOH team, line manage the technical team, lead on everything to do with the Spektrix box office system, including reporting, and run the bar and merchandise. They will actively sell our studio and theatre space for community and business hires, sell party and hen-do packages, manage the relationship with the clients, ensure that everything that they need is provided and that they have a fantastic experience. They are the first point of contact for our Arts University Bournemouth Dance Degree partners regarding the facilities.
The role includes responsibility for the safe and legal operation of the venue and provision of operating licenses as required.
Responsible to: Artistic Director / Chief Executive
Works closely alongside: All Staff
Line manages: Front of House and Facility Development Manager
Front of House Assistants x 5
Senior Technician Technician
Salary : £30,000
Salary range : £30,000 - £36,000
Terms: Full time permanent contract
Hours: 37.5 hours / week
Base: Pavilion Dance South West, Bournemouth
Detailed key responsibilities
- Actively encourage front of house team to sell and cross sell events to build ticket sales and meet targets
- Maximise the commercial potential of the spaces, managing and monitoring income targets and expenditure budgets
- Represent and advocate for the organisation externally
- Lead on the promotion of Pavilion Dance spaces in collaboration with the communications team, including attending external events
- Lead on and manage external bookings for hires, parties and other events in the venue
- Liaise with and support the dance teachers, in collaboration with the Participation Producer, for hired events and regular classes
- Maintain stock levels for the bar and merchandise and monitor their financial performance
- Create new commercial propositions for us.
- Ensure excellence customer service from all of the Front of House team
- Work closely with the Communications team to ensure the full potential of the Customer Relationship Management system is achieved
- Build strong relationships with customers and listen to feedback to improve our service
- Take responsibility for all aspects of the Spektrix software and related reporting systems to ensure they are developed to maximum effectiveness.
- Liaise with BHLive regarding maintenance of the building and shared facilities
- Liaise with BCP Council and Arts University Bournemouth to book spaces, as needed
- Take responsibility for the overall appearance and presentation of the building including the foyer
- Ensure that spaces are prepared in advance for meetings, classes and various events
- Ensure the provision of necessary operating licenses and the compliance of their conditions
- Work closely with the Front of House and Facility Development Manager to ensure the venue operates within current legal and health and safety frameworks at all times
- Manage the building and hires risk assessments and ensure that the venue is as accessible as possible
- Take overall responsibility for the security of the building
- Take responsibility for arranging catering for any events that need it
- Lead on improving and monitoring environmental sustainability across all aspects of the organisation and updating related action plans and policies
- Line manage the Front of House Manager, Front of House Assistants, Senior Technician and Technician.
- Prepare staff rotas to best serve the Pavilion Dance programme and external hires
- Support the Senior Technician through supervision and cross departmental working.
- Be aware of, and actively implement the organisation’s policies with regard to, for example, Health and Safety, Child Protection and Equality & Diversity
- Attend staff and other relevant meetings, participate in training and other forms of staff development
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with the post as directed by your line manager
Our values at PDSW are: Generous, Passionate, Inclusive and Inspiring and we look for everyone that works with us to embody those values. In addition, you will be able to show evidence of the following against which we will assess your application:
- Enjoy sales
- A “people person”
- Self-motivated, determined and a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Good attention to detail
- A commitment to providing access for everyone
- Enjoy being part of a team
- A problem solver
- Confident and clear communicator
Essential knowledge and skills
- Experience of customer relations with a clear view about what constitutes 'excellent customer relations'
- Experience of managing Spektrix or a similar box office / Customer Relationship Management system
- Experience of managing staff
- Experience of selling and negotiating
- Experience of working to income targets
- Experience of managing budgets
- Experience of facility management
- Experience of working within a team
- Knowledge of health and safety legislation and venue operating licenses
Desirable knowledge and skills
- A knowledge and enjoyment of dance and the arts
- Evidence of applying creative thinking
- Personal License Holder and experience of working in licensed trade
- Relevant first aid qualification
- An understanding of technical theatre or event management.