Please note that this ad has now expired
Application deadline: August 20th 2018
At Storyhouse we have over 130 dedicated volunteers. As Volunteer Coordinator you will be responsible for all communication, training and retention of our current Storyhouse volunteers, as well as recruitment of new volunteers. The majority of our volunteers give time to be Event Stewards for our many theatre productions, so you will also be required to dedicate half of your working week managing our volunteers on shift and ensure our shows run smoothly front of house. This role therefore will include evening and weekend work.
Responsibilities and accountabilities
Volunteer Coordination & Development
- Act as a main point of contact for all communication with our volunteer database, to include emails, phone calls and a regular newsletter
- Organise daily briefings to all volunteers on arrival, ensuring they have any equipment or materials they require to carry out their role
- Develop and manage inductions for all new volunteers
- Coordinate training sessions for volunteers with relevant departments
- Generate appropriate volunteering opportunities and role descriptions based on the needs of the organisation, working will all departments to access their volunteering needs.
- Develop and manage a recruitment plan, to include regular recruitment events to attract new volunteers
- Act as a Storyhouse ambassador in the community, regularly attending events to promote the volunteer programmes
- Retain volunteers and keep them motivated in their roles, ensuring they are appropriately placed for a position, motivating, and accrediting volunteers for their work.
- Assist with the growth and development of the volunteer programmes for the future
- Work with the Head of Development to identify potential funding for the volunteer programmes and collate statistics to support applications.
- Keep up to date with legislation and policy related to volunteering and make any necessary modification to accommodate changes
- Maintain the volunteer database and any other administrative duties as required
- Ensure all volunteers are well presented in the correct provided uniform in line with Storyhouse standards
Front of House
- Manage front of house shifts on a rota basis with our Customer Services Manager and Service Supervisors, ensuring the safe and professional welcome of our guests.
- Supervise volunteers on Storyhouse events and functions
- Offer a high level of customer service to all our visitors.
- Be knowledgeable on the events happening in the building each day.
Health & Safety
- Be responsible for the safe evacuation of your customers during all operating hours, including a full working knowledge of fire and other systems. You will be the named individual during shifts for the supervision of fire and evacuation policy for your area of service and the safe management of your customers.
- Ensure all relevant risk assessments are in place and regularly reviewed
- Manage DBS checks on volunteers where required
- Ensure doors and fire exits are open as required and unobstructed as directed.
- Be fully conversant with the company’s health and safety policies and procedures and keep up to date with changes on a regular basis.
- Act as a mentor to a young person, providing guidance, support and shadowing opportunities in line with their personal growth plan.
- Comply with all company governance and policies to avoid risk and minimize company liability.
- Work as a member of the core building/event management team, taking part in managing events and engagement programmes, and the centre, on a rostered basis.
- Any other ad hoc duties as required by your line manager or department managers.