South Essex College
South East Essex College is a major provider of FE and HE education in the north Thames Gateway.
We are based in excellent new facilities in a central Southend campus which includes the University of Essex (East 15). The College has opened a second campus in Thurrock (Jan 09) and has plans to build major centres in Grays and on an adjacent site in Southend.
We are a member of the NSA Founder College Group and are delighted to work closely with partner Colleges and Industry partners.
We have excellent links with industry from Essex based SME’s to major organisations such as Universal, KSS Architects, NHS and BBC. All set live briefs which are undertaken by our students across all levels.
The Faculty of Media and Creative Arts is comprised of a diverse range of creative programmes from level 1 – Introductory Diploma through to BA Hons. Over 1200 Further Education students and 400 degree students study within the Faculty.
Our staff are active practitioners as well as skilled teachers, many exhibit or produce work nationally. The Faculty is the main force behind the Southend Festival held each year in June. We have Nikon Academy status and have gained Apple Accredited Training Centre status for both education and industry and are recent Beacon Award winners for Art & Design. The Faculty passed through Gateway 1 to deliver the Creative and Media Diploma from September 2008 and is involved in three other consortia to deliver the Diploma in 2009 and 2010. We are also at an advanced stage of delivering Creative Apprenticeships within the region.
Our HE students exhibit in our own Campus Gallery, plus external venues in Southend, as well as participating in New Blood, New Designers, Brick Lane and Graduate Fashion Week. Our students have been recent award winners with D&AD; (Graphics 08), Nikon Documentary award (07, 08).
Our FE students undertake community projects in public venues throughout Southend and hold major shows in our studios and Campus Gallery, as well as major Fashion Shows in June.
To support the Building a Creative Nation campaign, South Essex College has:
Employed an apprentice
Hosted a careers event
Joined the Building a Creative Nation campaign
Part of the Creative Employment Programme
Provided career advice
Set up a paid internship
- What can we learn about careers advice from YouTubers?
- The future workforce, diversity and social mobility
- Scherrikar Bell, actor
- Digital Design Career Zone
- Apprenticeships for the Creative Industries
- How do we solve the lack of diversity in technical and production in the arts?
- Apprenticeships are a journey worth taking
- Young people have the skills our sector needs for the future
- Andrea Pugliese, cultural experience designer
- Students attend Portsmouth Guildhall’s fourth Creative Choices day
- Good work experience is vital, but are businesses ready to deliver it?
- If we’re not careful, we could be left out of Post-16 skills training
- The future workforce: Are you ready?
- Partnerships offer opportunity for hands-on experience
- Design skills are vital to UK productivity but businesses face a growing skills gap
- What can a guitar god teach you about networking?
- Telling young people about the magic of the creative sector
- Review of National Occupational Standards - online consultation
- NSA acheivements in 2017
- Moving on after an apprenticeship
- 3 entry-level jobs to kick-start your writing career
- How has 2017 fared?
- What does a Senior Technician do for a theatre?
- Being a Marketing and Sales Officer
- Being an Education Projects Coordinator
- Production & programming for a theatre
- Being a Theatre Manager
- What does an Associate Artist do?
- Creative Digital Careers Infographics
- Global Talent Report
- The Future of Skills
- Design Museum Student Awards
- A Manager’s Guide to Apprenticeships
- Get creative with Talnet
- Get into learning and participation
- Sofie Boons, Head of British Academy of Jewellery
- How to nail your graduate CV for the creative industries
- Apprenticeship Information Events
- Scene Change Report
- Creative Education Forum 2017
- Being a creative team coordinator
- Apprenticeships for the Creative Industries
- Theatre Workforce Review
- What are you getting wrong with entry-level recruitment?
- Diversity in theatre: small players leading the way
- Work experience with a video production company
- Work experience with a digital agency
- Work experience with a creative media arts centre
- Work experience with a children’s media company
- How to record a podcast
- How to make a storyboard
- How to design a product
- How to create a video on iMovie
- What does the ‘hung parliament’ mean for apprenticeships in the creative sector?
- What could the 2017 General Election do for the UK’s creative skills gap?
- How can an organisation benefit from an intern?
- Interns with the Northern Ireland Creative Employment Programme
- A backstage look at Leeds Festival
- Getting started in the creative and cultural industries
- Moving forward from a creative apprenticeship
- How Wac Arts supports young people and their performing arts careers
- Apprentices and Interns of the Creative Employment Programme
- Student Success at Youth Awards
- Abi Horsfield, transitions outreach manager
- Amy Backwell, industry liaison intern
- Emma Morsi, digital marketing apprentice
- How will we improve Creative Choices
- Sheree Vickers, artistic director
- RSA Student Design Awards team
- 6 ways to successfully enter the creative industries
- Hannah Fiddy, flashmob producer
- Building a Creative Nation in China
- World-first in apprenticeship technology
- Building a Creative Nation: Diveristy and Fair Access
- Start your career in Film, T.V. and Stage
- Welsh National Opera announce the first winner of their opera Design Challenge
- Why you need to be at our conference on March 2nd!
- Havering College is turning 70
- Help Musicians NI and Creative & Cultural Skills
- Kensington and Chelsea College student wins first prize
- The Working Internationally Regional Project
- Belfast Metropolitan as a Leadership College
- Shortlist announced for the Welsh National Opera Design Challenge
- 6 top tips for finding work experience in a creative design studio
- Creative Choices Live! in Suffolk
- April Skipp, marketing and development intern
- 110 years of Belfast Metropolitan College
- Jack Homer, technical arts student
- Getting the right careers advice for the creative industries
- Creative Tutors: how to make work experience work
- Barking & Dagenham teacher in running for award
- Going for Gold with Arts Award
- Apprenticeship standard: Learning and Participation Officer
- Surviving as an actor outside London
- Connecting with Industry
- Vicky Grubb, upholsterer
- Lindon Barr, dancer & choreographer
- Peter Vaillant, abstract artist
- Hazel Marshall, story consultant
- Aisling Keavey, photographic artist
- FD in Music and Production (HEFCE) Yr1 Programme
- Introduction to Music - Diploma in Music Performance & Production (Level 2) Programme
- Intermediate Music - Diploma in Music Performance & Production (Level 3) Programme
- Music Professional Practice - Extended Diploma (Level 3) (Direct Entry Yr2) Programme
- Introduction to Pro Tools Programme
- Improvers Guitar Programme
- Beginner’s Drum Kit Programme
- Improvers Keyboards Programme
- Beginners Singing Programme
- Improvers Singing Programme
- Beginners Guitar Programme
- DJ Skills Programme
- Introduction to Music Technology Programme
- Logic Pro X Programme
- Beginners Keyboards Programme
- Dance Professional Practice - Extended Diploma (Level 3) (Direct Entry Yr2) Programme
- Intermediate Dance - BTEC National Foundation Diploma (Level 3) Programme
- Introduction to Dance - BTEC First Diploma (Level 2) Programme
- HNC in Performing Arts (Dance) (HEFCE) Programme
- Drama Professional Practice - Extended Diploma (Level 3) (Direct Entry Yr2) Programme
- Introduction to Drama - BTEC First Diploma (Level 2) Programme
- Intermediate Drama (Dip in Performing & Production Arts) (Level 3) Programme
- Technical Theatre Arts - Diploma in Production Arts (Level 3) Programme