A difficult obstacle for designer-makers is not the creative side, but getting support and resources to operate as a creative business. Get some online resources for craft careers.
The resources below are from Cockpit Arts, an award-winning social enterprise that provide designer-makers with affordable workspaces and support to grow their businesses.
Business tools for creative businesses
The Cockpit Arts 'Making It' blog features a number of useful downloads for developing a creative business.
- To identify your vision and goals, a worksheet for Creating an Outline Business Plan
- For support networks and useful organisations for designer-makers, there is the Cockpit Arts Resource Directory
- For selling your creative product, a template for a marketing planner, with advice on using it for marketing
- To get an idea of the market place, a PEST analysis template (Political, Economic, Social, and Technological), with advice on PEST analysis
- A worksheet for Calculating your Costs and Budgeting
- A worksheet for Setting Up a Profit and Loss Account
Creative workshops and seminars
Cockpit Arts run regular workshops and seminars, available to designer-makers outside of their studios.
Workshops are run by in-house coaches, as well as creative industries advisors, accountants, lawyers, marketeers, retailers and IT experts, designed to hone skills needed to run a successful practice.
The Making It seminars are high-profile events that tackle topical industry themes and aim to stimulate debate within the designer-maker community.
Studios and support for designer makers
For practising designer-makers looking for a London studio, Cockpit Arts can offer space and support to develop a creative business.
A 'creative business incubator' is a package specifically tailored by Cockpit Arts to meet the needs of designer-makers, including:
- Open Studios public selling events
- Promotional and selling opportunities
- Office facilities and resource room
- A team of on-site coaches
- One-to-one business support
You can watch a film, made by Creative Choices, about Business support for makers at Cockpit Arts.